West Nile Virus On The Rise!
CDC has cited that cases of the West Nile Virus are on the rise in the United States. Let Pro Chem help you with your prevention measures. We offer personal insecticides as well as surface treatments.
Thus far in 2012, 43 states have reported West Nile virus infections in people, birds, or mosquitoes. A total of 693 cases of West Nile virus disease in people, including 26 deaths, have been reported to CDC. Of these, 406 (59%) were classified as neuroinvasive disease (such as meningitis or encephalitis) and 287 (41%) were classified as non-neuroinvasive disease.
The 693 cases reported thus far in 2012 is the highest number of West Nile virus disease cases reported to CDC through the second week in August since West Nile virus was first detected in the United States in 1999. Over 80 percent of the cases have been reported from six states ( Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma,
South Dakota, and California) and almost half of all cases have been reported from Texas.
West Nile Virus (WNV ) activity reported to ArboNET, by state, United States, 2012 (as of August 14, 2012)
|AWAY PLUS||AWAY PLUS WIPES|
|RID 60||BULLS EYE|
The West Nile Virus (WNV) is a potentially serious illness.
Experts believe WNV is established as a seasonal epidemic in North America that flares up in the summer and continues into the fall. Anyone who lives or works in an
area where there are WNV-infected mosquitoes is at risk of WNV infection. People of all ages are at risk of the flulike
symptoms of this infection. Although people usually recover, the symptoms may be severe enough to result in lost workdays for extended periods.
The easiest and best way to avoid WNV is to prevent mosquito bites.
- When you are outdoors, use insect repellent containing DEET. Pro Chem’s Away Plus products contain DEET. Use a repellent that provides protection for the amount of time that you will be outdoors and reapply it as needed.
- Many mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn. Be sure to use insect repellent and wear long sleeves and pants at these times.
- Scrub the sides of water containers to dislodge eggs.
- Add an aerator to ponds and other bodies of water to keep the water circulating, or add fish that will eat the mosquito larvae or adult mosquitoes.
- Products containing permethrin are recommended for use on clothing, and shoes and are registered with EPA for this use. Permethrin is highly effective as an insecticide and as a repellent. Pro Chem’s Rid 60 and Bulls Eye both use permethrin.
Turn over, cover, store, or remove equipment
such as tarps, buckets, barrels, wheelbarrows, discarded tires, and containers
to prevent standing water.
- Remove debris (leaves, twigs, trash) from ditches and fill in ruts and other areas that collect standing water.
Also avaliable Mosquito bricks, teknar g, and kontrol 4- 4
Kontrol 4-4: Low
Pyrethroid for control
of mosquito larvae.
Teknar G: Granular
to be applied in
aerial and ground